Please note that every challenge in this blog can be entered with any form of art work, not just cards. Themes may have to be slighly altered, but as long as they represent the general idea, feel free to enter.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Technique Thursday - Paper Piecing 101

Paper Piecing 101 -
Give your images a New Look by Paper-piecing instead of coloring them! For this project, I used Squigglefly’s Moon Fairy. Since it is a digi-image, I printed out several images onto full-sized papers.
When you use rubber or cling stamps you can stamp onto leftover pieces of patterned paper. I used PaperTrey’s Raspberry Fizz and Hibiscus Buzz cardstocks, as well as 2 sheets of patterned paper leftover from my rummage sale stash.

Building up from your base layer (I’m using a sheet of white paper), cut out pieces from your colored papers and adhere to your base.
I always make at least two copies of my base image, so that I can color if needed and add layers from it (and for mistakes, which everyone makes!).

I cut out the full image from the lace patterned paper and attached it to the white base first. I then cut out the lighter pink cardstock, just the fairy image, and attached it. I then cut out the darker pink cardstock and placed it on my image.
I colored her face, arms and legs from the second white image, cut it out (keeping it one piece) and attached it. Finally, I cut out her hair from the second image on the lace paper and added some color to it before attaching it to my image. I added some Yellow and some Icicle Stickles to help her outshine the moon.




Once everything that’s wet is dry, you can cut out your paper-pieced image and apply it to your background paper!
It’s not as hard as it looks, and the finished product is a nice change from coloring. Even if all you did was print or stamp your image onto one extra piece of patterned paper and used it with your base of cardstock, you will have tried something new! So, what are you waiting for? Let’s see your projects!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful paperpiecing Pat. I really love it. Another trick I use is after completion I take a dark grey or black felt tip around the entire edge of the piece - it kinda highlights the whole thing and smooths out any too close cutting marks. But yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mwahaha! I do the same thing, and on this project too! Thanks for reminding me of this very important tip!

    ReplyDelete

Just leave a little love and consider being a follower; better yet join us!